magazine Contributing Editor Mike Reynolds loves showing people Saturn. “Some people seeing it for the first time think it’s fake or a slide,” he says. “In reality, it’s one of the most amazing sights a telescope will reveal. And again this year, with the rings pretty wide open, will be a real opportunity for amateur astronomers to educate the public about how the planets move.”
FUN FACTS ABOUT SATURN
- Saturn is 95 times as massive as Earth.
- From Saturn, the Sun appears 1 percent as bright as from Earth.
- Saturn’s polar diameter is only 89 percent of its equatorial girth.
- The rings tilt 27.3° with respect to Saturn’s orbit.
- More than 800 Earths would fit inside the ringed planet.
- It is the only planet whose density is less than water. If you could find an ocean big enough, Saturn would float.